Dr Bernard is a Senior Staff Specialist in the Department of Nuclear Medicine at Royal North Shore Hospital (RNSH). She has appointments in both the public and private health systems as well as having a Clinical Senior Lecturer appointment in the Faculty of Medicine & Health at the University of Sydney. She has particular expertise in the management of patients for radionuclide therapy for thyroid cancer, neuroendocrine tumours and hepatic malignancies.
Dr Bernard has over 20 years of experience as a Staff Specialist at Royal North Shore Hospital. She also has a keen interest in medical education from the medical student to the advanced trainee level. For the past five years Dr Bernard has been the lead physician of the Neuroendocrine Tumour Multi-Disciplinary Team meeting (NET MDT) at RNSH where she has explored the complementarity of Somatostatin Receptor (SSTR) and metabolic (FDG) PET imaging. This MDT is now the largest for this tumour stream in the state, with the greatest number of patient referrals, and has produced a number of imaging-based publications. Dr Bernard is frequently invited to present her clinical expertise in imaging and radionuclide therapy at national and international meetings.
Caring for patients and science are my passions. Nuclear Medicine is at the interface between cutting edge medical science and patient care, and that is where I love to practice.
Dr Elizabeth Bernard consults at North Shore Private Hospital in Sydney.
- Functional imaging to guide radionuclide therapy
- Selective internal radiation therapy for primary and secondary hepatic malignancies
- Chan DL, Pavlakis N, Schembri GP, Bernard EJ, Hsiao E, Hayes A, Barnes T, Diakos C, Khasraw M, Samra J, Eslick E, Roach PJ, Engel A, Clarke SJ, Bailey DL. Dual Somatostatin Receptor/FDG PET/CT Imaging in Metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumours: Proposal for a Novel Grading Scheme with Prognostic Significance. Theranostics 7. 2017/04/25 ed:1149-1158 (2017)
- Willowson KP, Hayes AR, Chan DLH, Tapner M, Bernard EJ, Maher R, Pavlakis N, Clarke SJ, Bailey DL. Clinical and imaging based prognostic factors in radioembolisation of liver metastases from colorectal cancer: a retrospective exploratory analysis. EJNMMI, Res 7. 2017/05/26 ed:46 (2017)
- Willowson KP, Bernard EJ, Maher R, Clarke SJ, Bailey DL. Changing Therapeutic Paradigms: Predicting mCRC Lesion Response to Selective Internal Radionuclide Therapy (SIRT) based on Critical Absorbed Dose Thresholds: A Case Study. Asia Oceania J Nucl Med Biol 5:66-69 (2017)
- Willowson KP, Eslick E, Ryu H, Poon A, Bernard EJ, Bailey DL. Feasibility and accuracy of single time point imaging for renal dosimetry following (177)Lu-DOTATATE ('Lutate') therapy. EJNMMI Phys 5. 2018/12/21 ed:33 (2018)
- Chan DL, Bernard E, Schembri G, Roach P, Johnson M, Pavlakis N, Clarke SJ, Bailey D. High metabolic tumour volume on FDG PET predicts poor survival from neuroendocrine neoplasms. Neuroendocrinology. 2019/11/12 ed (2019)
- Willowson KP, Schembri GP, Bernard EJ, Chan DL, Bailey DL. Quantifying the effects of absorbed dose from radioembolisation on healthy liver function with [(99m)Tc]TcMebrofenin. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2020/01/21 ed (2020)