Extensive interest in all clinical areas of radiation oncology with a special clinical interest in urological, lung, gastrointestinal, sarcoma, palliative, CNS tumours & lymphoma.
Assoc Prof Leung completed his radiation oncology training mostly in Melbourne, predominantly at Peter MacCallum Institute. He commenced work as a consultant at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney and has been in Adelaide for many years working as a director/partner at Adelaide Radiotherapy Centre (Now GenesisCare). He is also a consultant radiation oncologist for Flinders Medical Centre and has held similar posts at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
Assoc Prof Leung is very active in College activities. He was the Chief Accreditation Officer for radiation oncology for Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. He has been an examiner for the College for many years and the lead or chief examiner in a number of series. He was the main workforce adviser for the Economic Workforce Committee and a Director of Training for many years. He is also an associate editor for the national journal and is a keen teacher for trainees approaching their phase 2 examinations.
Assoc Prof Leung has a particular interest in workforce issues and has published a number of peer review papers, including the only three workforce Census’ this century, the only trainees survey, Directors of training study, and more recently stress, satisfaction and burnout articles on radiation oncologists and also trainees. He is the sole or principal author on these subjects. He has also published on clinical areas such as spinal cord compression, pancreatic and lung cancer. He is currently working on prostate cancer.
He has a broad clinical interest in nearly all areas of radiation oncology, but is especially active in urological, lung and gastrointestinal cancers.
Workforce, stress and burnout, examinations, prostate cancer, lung cancer and GIT cancer with publications in all these areas. Avid reader of journals. Current associate editor of national journal.
- Committees- Examiners committee, national journal committee and research mentor for trainees.
- Past member of Education Board, lead examiner, Chief Accreditation Officer, accreditation committee, key Workforce advisor and member of Economic and Workforce Committee.
Publications and affiliations
- Leung J. United States and Australia and New Zealand radiation oncology trainee concerns, examination and training: a comparison and what we can learn from each other. IJROBP 2020; 106 :914-5.
- Leung J, Forstner D , Chee R et al. Faculty of Radiation Oncology 2018 Workforce Census. J Med Imaging and Radiat Oncol 2019 ; 63 : 852-61.
- Wong H, Leung J et al. Comparative study between PSMA PET and conventional imaging in the initial staging of prostate cancer. J Med Imaging and Radiat Oncol 2018; 62: 816-22.
- Abbas N, Ayoola A , Leung J et al. Survival and late toxicities following concurrent chemo-radiotherapy for locally advanced stage 3 non small cell lung cancer: findings of a 10 year Australian single centre experience with long term follow up. J Thorac Dis 2019; 11:4241-8.
- Leung J and Rioseco P. Burnout, stress and satisfaction among Australian and New Zealand radiation oncology trainees . Journal of Med Imaging and Radiat Oncol 2016; 61.