My goal is to provide the best possible outcome for patients, whether that be improved survival or better quality of life.
Extensive interest in all clinical areas of radiation oncology with a special clinical interest in urological, lung, gastrointestinal, sarcoma, palliative, CNS tumours & lymphoma.
Assoc Prof Leung has been in Adelaide since 1996 working as a director/partner at Adelaide Radiotherapy Centre (now GenesisCare) since 1997. He is also a consultant radiation oncologist for Flinders Medical Centre .
Assoc Prof Leung is very active in academic activities as well as having a very busy clinical workload. He is the current Chief Examiner for Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. He is also the Deputy Chief Censor of the College. He was previously the Chief Accreditation Officer for the College. He has been an examiner for the College for many years and the lead examiner in a number of series. He was the main workforce adviser for the Economic Workforce Committee and a Director of Training for many years. He is also an associate editor for the national journal and is a keen teacher for trainees approaching their phase 2 examinations.
Assoc Prof Leung has a particular interest in workforce issues and has published a number of peer review papers, including the only two workforce Census’ this century, the only trainees survey, Directors of training study, and more recently stress, satisfaction and burnout articles on radiation oncologists and also trainees. He is the sole or principal author on these subjects. He has also published on clinical areas such as spinal cord compression, pancreatic ,lung and prostate cancer .
He has a broad clinical interest in nearly all areas of radiation oncology, but is especially active in urological, lung , gastrointestinal cancers, soft tissue sarcomas and palliative radiation therapy, but treats practically all sites.
Workforce, stress and burnout, examinations, prostate cancer, lung cancer and GIT cancer with publications in all these areas. Avid reader of journals. Current associate editor of national journal.
- Committees- Examiners committee, national journal committee and research mentor for trainees.
- Past member of Education Board, lead examiner, Chief Accreditation Officer, accreditation committee, key Workforce advisor and member of Economic and Workforce Committee.
Publications and affiliations
- Leung J. United States and Australia and New Zealand radiation oncology trainee concerns, examination and training: a comparison and what we can learn from each other. IJROBP 2020; 106 :914-5.
- Leung J, Forstner D , Chee R et al. Faculty of Radiation Oncology 2018 Workforce Census. J Med Imaging and Radiat Oncol 2019 ; 63 : 852-61.
- Wong H, Leung J et al. Comparative study between PSMA PET and conventional imaging in the initial staging of prostate cancer. J Med Imaging and Radiat Oncol 2018; 62: 816-22.
- Abbas N, Ayoola A , Leung J et al. Survival and late toxicities following concurrent chemo-radiotherapy for locally advanced stage 3 non small cell lung cancer: findings of a 10 year Australian single centre experience with long term follow up. J Thorac Dis 2019; 11:4241-8.
- Leung J and Rioseco P. Burnout, stress and satisfaction among Australian and New Zealand radiation oncology trainees . Journal of Med Imaging and Radiat Oncol 2016; 61.