What is telehealth?
Telehealth is the use of videoconferencing (live video on computer) for appointments with your doctor when they are at a different location to you. You may have seen videoconferencing used on television when the host of a show is interviewing a guest overseas.
Telehealth allows patients in rural locations to access GenesisCare specialist consulting more frequently. Our specialists will continue to travel to your destination, however in addition to these rural visits, the specialist will also be available via telehealth.
We believe that care should be available when and where you need it most.
Why have I been booked into telehealth?
Your specialist has deemed you suitable for a telehealth appointment.
Telehealth can be very convenient when:
- you need access to a specialist that isn’t in your local area
- there is a shorter waiting period for a telehealth appointment than face-to-face
- you would like to have a local family member with you at your appointment.
What happens at a telehealth appointment?
At the telehealth appointment, you (and your support person if you choose to have one) will meet with your specialist via a video link. You will see your doctor on the computer screen and will be able to talk to them as you would in a face-to-face appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- You will receive instructions to connect to your telehealth appointment from your smartphone or laptop/tablet/computer in the days prior to your appointment.
- If payment is required, this will be requested at the time of confirmation.
- To avoid an delays or issues, please prepare and test your equipment 10-15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- When you connect to the appointment. you will be placed in a virtual waiting room until the doctor is ready to begin.
- Prescriptions or referrals form that the specialist may need to complete for you will be sent to you via email after the appointment
- Once your consultation is complete, the doctor will remove you from the virtual waiting room.
Yes. The image and sound are transferred in an encrypted form so that your appointment is completely confidential.
By using GenesisCare telehealth you can access appointments at a reduced cost (compared to the cost of face-to-face appointments) and receive all the benefits of care that GenesisCare provides.
- Before the appointment, make a list of questions that you have for your specialist that relate to your care, and bring them with you to your appointment.
- Try to arrive 15 minutes before your appointment.
- Switch off your mobile phone during the telehealth appointment.
- You will be able to speak naturally to your specialist. Please note, however, the microphone can only pick up one person at a time.
- If you have any questions during the appointment, please feel free to ask. Our staff are also available to assist you.
Of course! If you are not comfortable talking to your specialist by telehealth, please feel free to discuss this with us. We can advise you of the availability of face-to-face appointments with your specialist. Please note that face-to-face appointments will be available less frequently than telehealth appointments.
You may also choose to alternate your face-to-face appointments with telehealth appointments to allow you to get used to this service.
We understand that all our patients have different experiences and expectations and we hope to meet your requirements.
Planning a telehealth clinic involves a lot of coordination. If you are unable to attend, please phone us on the number listed below, as soon as possible.
Our goal is to provide you with the best possible care at all times. We will do our best to ensure that the care we provide is of the highest possible standard.
If we can assist you further prior to your telehealth appointment, please contact us on 1800 155 225.
Meet our sleep specialists
- Sleep and Respiratory Physician | Sleep Physician
We attract and retain some of the most experienced doctors in the country, who all have a passion for improving patient outcomes and specialise in the treatment of sleep and respiratory disorders.
To give you the best care we can, we have the largest group of privately practicing sleep and respiratory specialists in Australia.