How should I prepare for my sleep study?
A sleep study can help your GenesisCare team understand how your body is behaving when you are asleep and help identify underlying problems. However, we know that people are busy and it’s often not convenient to stay at a sleep clinic overnight.
We’ll arrange a time convenient for you to attend your GenesisCare sleep clinic. Our team will fit the sensors and explain the simple and painless tests. You’ll then return home for the night and go to sleep as usual.
On the day of your sleep study, the following are really important:
- Keep to your normal routine.
- If you usually drink tea, coffee or alcohol in the evenings, you should also do so on the night of your study.
- Try not to change your normal sleeping routine in the week/s leading up to the sleep study. Take any prescribed medications, unless your doctor advises you otherwise.
- Please wash and dry your hair and shower prior to your appointment. This helps in securing the sensors to your body to ensure a successful study outcome.
- Avoid using make-up, hair conditioner, styling products and moisturisers before your sleep study.
- We’ll need to attach sensors to your scalp and fingers, so please remove any hair pieces or nail polish.
- After we’ve fitted the sensors, you won’t be able get changed before going to bed at home, so wear your sleepwear or clothes you’re comfortable sleeping in to the appointment.
- You’ll probably want to have a zip up or button up shirt or jacket to put on over the recorder and sensors to travel home comfortably.
- It’s important that the equipment doesn’t get wet so if it’s raining bring an umbrella or raincoat.
What does the study involve?
A number of small sensors are attached to your head, chest and legs. The sensors measure your brain activity, heart rate, breathing patterns, leg movements and the amount of oxygen in your blood.
What happens if I can’t attend my appointment?
We understand life is busy. So, if you can’t make your appointment or need to reschedule just let your GenesisCare team know 48 hours before your appointment and we’ll arrange another time that works for you.
We want to get your results to you quickly
You obviously want to get results from the study as quickly as possible. The study is analysed at our laboratory and then reviewed by team.
The results will be available within 10 working days after your sleep study. Your referring doctor or specialist will be happy to explain the results and plan any treatment that may be necessary.