Dr Matt Mason
BMedSci(Hons), BMBS, MRCP(UK), FRCR, FRANZCR, Radiation Oncologist
I want to make a difference each day to the lives of people affected by cancer. I want to empower them to make decisions about their care
Special clinical interest in head and neck cancer, breast cancer, skin cancer, prostate cancer and palliative radiation therapy.
Matt provides radiation therapy treatments for patients at GenesisCare, Lake Macquarie Private hospital. He is looking forward to practicing at the new Maitland centre soon.
Interested in technical radiation therapy, Matt completed a two-year clinical fellowship at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto, Canada. This focused on the management of head and neck malignancies, CNS tumours and spinal stereotactic radiation therapy.
Having moved to Australia and achieving specialist recognition, Matt initially worked as a Staff Specialist in Radiation Oncology at the Calvary Mater in Newcastle. In 2020 he was a founding member of Konara Cancer Care, a group of practitioners dedicated to providing comprehensive head and neck cancer services in the Hunter Region. Matt has experience in the management of breast, prostate and skin cancers and actively participates in local multidisciplinary meetings.
Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours), Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery, Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians (United Kingdom), Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiologists, Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists
Matt takes an active role in research and has several publications. He has a Conjoint appointment as Lecturer, with the University of Newcastle School of Medicine and Public Health and enjoys providing clinical teaching for patients, students, and trainees. He is interested in how patient-reported outcomes might influence patient management.
- GenesisCare Head and Neck Tumour Reference Group (Aus)
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR)
- Royal College of Radiologists (RCR)
- Royal College of Physicians (RCP)
- Neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio dynamics during concurrent chemo-radiotherapy for glioblastoma is an independent predictor for overall survival. Mason M, Maurice C, McNamara MG, Tieu MT, Lwin Z, Millar BA, Menard C, Laperriere N, Milosevic M, Atenafu EG, Mason W, Chung C. J Neurooncol. 2017 Mar 22. doi: 10.1007/s11060-017-2395-y.
- Glioblastoma in the elderly: making sense of the evidence. Mason M, Laperriere N, Wick W, Reardon DA, Malmstrom A, E Hovey, Weller M and Perry J. Neuro Oncol Pract first published online September 1, 2015 doi:10.1093/nop/npv027
- Extra-pulmonary small cell carcinoma in the head and neck setting: the role of prophylactic cranial irradiation. Mason M, Giuliani M, Huang SH, Xu W, Hope A, Kim J, Bayley A, John Cho BC, Goldstein D, Jang RW, Ordonez BP, Wajstaub S, Waldron J, Dinniwell R, O’Sullivan B, Ringash J. Oral Oncol. 2015 Jun;51(6):e57-9. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2015.03.014. Epub 2015 Apr 10.
- The Effect of Dose and Quality Assurance in Early Prostate Cancer Treated with Low Dose Rate Brachytherapy as Monotherapy. Henry AM, Rodda SL, Mason M, Musurunu H, Al-Qaisieh B, Bownes P, Smith J, Franks K, Carey B, Bottomley D. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2015 Jul;27(7):382-6. doi:10.1016/j.clon.2015.03.004.Epub 2015 Mar 21.
- Second Primary Cancers Occurring after I-125 Brachytherapy as Monotherapy for Early Prostate Cancer. Musunuru H, Mason M, Murray L, Al-Qaisieh B, Bownes P, Carey B, Bottomley D, Henry A. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2014 Apr;26(4):210-5