Cardiovascular Imaging Specialist with special clinical interest in non invasive cardiac imaging, echocardiography and the management of coronary disease.
Dr Stefan Mark Nidorf trained in Medicine in Perth Western Australia. He did advanced training in echocardiography at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Harvard Medical School. He is currently working as a Clinical Cardiologist at GenesisCare in Perth and is affiliated with the Heart and Vascular Research Institute at the Perkins Research Institute. His clinical research interest in atherosclerosis led him to initiate the LoDoCo trials of low dose colchicine for the secondary prevention of coronary disease, the rationale of which has been strengthened by an improved understanding of how cholesterol transitions from an essential molecule into a crystalline form that can act to initiate and perpetuate the chronic and acute manifestations of atherosclerosis.
Dr Nidorf’s clinical interest in atherosclerosis led him to initiate the LoDoCo trials, watch a video of Dr Nidorf explaining his recent findings here.
- Fellow of Royal Australian College of Physicians (FRACP)
- Fellow of American College of Cardiology (FACC)
- Fellow of Cardiac Society of Australia New Zealand (FCSANZ)
Publications and affiliations
- Nidorf SM, Fiolet ALT, Mosterd A. Colchicine in Patients with Chronic Coronary Disease. N Engl J Med 2020 DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa2021372
- Nidorf SM, Eikelboom JW, Budgeon CA, Thompson PL. Low-dose colchicine for secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61(4):404-406. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2012.10.027
- Nidorf SM, Fiolet A, Abela GS Viewing atherosclerosis through a crystal lens: How the evolving structure of cholesterol crystals in atherosclerotic plaque alters its stability J Clin Lipidol 2020 Jul 11;S1933-2874(20)30213-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jacl.2020.07.003. Online ahead of print.
- Nidorf M, Thompson PL. Effect of Colchicine (0.5 mg Twice Daily) on High-Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein Independent of Aspirin and Atorvastatin in Patients With Stable Coronary Artery Disease. Am J Cardiol. 2007. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2006.10.039
- Thompson PL, Nidorf SM. Colchicine: an affordable anti-inflammatory agent for atherosclerosis. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2018 Dec;29(6):467-473. doi: 10.1097/MOL.0000000000000552.PMID: 30320614