Special clinical interest in breast cancer, upper gastrointestinal cancer, liver cancer, neuroendocrine, palliative and stereotactic radiation therapy
Gina has a keen interest in training and education and is a Conjoint Lecturer at UNSW. She is a national lead for implementing the new Radiation Oncology speciality training program and convened the international RANZCR/ESTRO/CARO Foundations of Leadership course. She is a member of the Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group ASM committee. She is actively involved in reviewing the EVIQ radiation oncology treatment protocols and sits on the palliative, SABR/SRS, breast and upper gastro-intestinal reference panels.
Central to Gina’s clinical practice is an interest in research, having published in peer-reviewed journals and presented her work at both local and international conferences.
Other clinical interests
Gina advocates strongly for all patients to receive optimal cancer treatment through her work as the GP education lead for Targeting Cancer.
Professional memberships, international & national committees
- Convener, Foundations of Leadership in Radiation Oncology Course Sydney August 2019
November 2018- present
- Member, Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group Annual Scientific Meeting Committee 2019
October 2018- present
- Member, EVIQ Reference Committee for Head and Neck Treatment Protocols
- GP Education Director, Targeting Cancer
- Member, Targeting Cancer- Working Advisory Group
- Kaye Scott Prize 2017 RANZCR FRO Phase 2 examination series 2017
Awarded for the most outstanding performance in the Phase 2 Radiation Oncology examinations. This prize is only awarded where an exceptional standard has been demonstrated as determined by the Phase 2 Examiners and is therefore not given out every examination series.
- CE Eddy Prize 2014 FRANZCR Phase 1 examination series 2014
Awarded to the most successful candidate at the 2014 FRANZCR Phase 1 examination series Faculty of Radiation Oncology Education and Training Committee of the RANZCR
- Letter of Excellence, Fremantle Hospital 2011
Awarded by Dr David Oldham, Director of Postgraduate Education
- UWA MBBS Honours Award 2010
Distinction average in all subjects over six years
Awarded by Prof. Ian Puddey, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, UWA
- Health Department of WA Prize in Public Health for Medical Research 2009
Research Report on ‘Screening Mammography in Women Aged 70-74’ conducted in association with Breast Screen Western Australia. Dr Elizabeth Wylie
- Multimodal treatment of oligometastatic anal squamous cell carcinoma: an international multi-institutional case series
Hesselberg G, Sclafani S, Rao S, Goldstein D, Haghighi K, Truskett P and Thompson S ; Journal of Surgical Oncology, accepted and awaiting publication Nov 2018
- Head and neck glottic larynx squamous cell carcinoma definitive EBRT 2017 ID: 584 v.3
eviQ Cancer Treatments Online, Cancer Institute NSW, reviewed 16 November; Available at: https://bit.ly/2C21yEp
- Head and neck larynx/hypopharynx squamous cell carcinoma definitive EBRT chemoradiation ID: 1528 v.3
eviQ Cancer Treatments Online, Cancer Institute NSW, reviewed 16 November Available at: https://bit.ly/2PkmvOF
- RANZCR Particle Therapy Information and Referral Process Document
RANZCR Faculty of Radiation Oncology Particle Therapy Special Interest Group; October 2017, pending committee approval
- Are Future Radiation Oncologists Equipped With the Knowledge to Manage Elderly Patients With Cancer?
Morris L, Thiruthaneeswaran N, Lehman M, Hesselberg G and Turner S; International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics, Jan 2017
- Radiotherapy use in cancer
Turner S, Gorayski P, Hesselberg G and Morris L; Australian Doctor April 2015