Special clinical interest in neuro-oncology, brain tumour and brain metastases.
A/Prof Michael Back is a Radiation Oncologist who has been subspecialising in the management of brain tumours for almost 25 years. He has been active in developing and expanding multidisciplinary neuro-oncology services in major university teaching hospitals within NSW and South East Asia. With a strong emphasis on patient centred care and empowerment though information provision, he has generated a large clinical practice encompassing latest evidence based care, technology, research and clinical trials. He completed a PhD through the University of Sydney exploring improved techniques in management of high grade brain cancer.
Michael has NSW Health appointments at the Royal North Shore and Gosford Hospitals and a conjoint academic role through the University of Sydney. In the NSW Genesis Care network he manages patients under his Sydney Brain Tumour Clinic at the Mater Hospital, Macquarie University Hospital, St Vincent’s Clinic and Hurstville Waratah Medical Centre.
- PhD in Neuro-oncology University of Sydney 2020
Improving the outcome of patients with primary brain cancer through the use of sophisticated imaging and radiation treatment design.
Publications and affiliations
- Back M, Jayamanne DT Back E, Khasraw M, Wong M, Brown C, Wheeler H. “Reflecting on survivorship outcomes to aid initial decision-making in patients managed for IDH mutated Anaplastic Glioma” Cancer. 2019;125(19):3457-3466.
- Back M, Jayamanne DT, Khasraw M, Kastelan M, Brown C, Wheeler H. “Early pattern of failure involving distant brain sites and ventricular spread in patients with Anaplastic Glioma and IDH mutation” Strahlenther Onkol. 2020;196(1):31-39.
- Or M, Jayamanne D, Guo L, Stevens M, Parkinson J, Cook R, Little N, Back M. Focal radiation therapy for limited brain metastases is associated with high rates of local control and low subsequent whole brain radiation therapy. ANZ J Surg. 2019 Mar 5. doi: 10.1111/ans.15040.
- Jayamanne D, Wheeler H, Cook R, Teo C, Brazier D, Schembri G, Kastelan M, Guo L, Back MF. Survival improvements with adjuvant therapy in patients with glioblastoma. ANZ J Surg. 2018 Mar;88(3):196-201.
- Perry J, Laperriere N, O’Callaghan C, Brandes A, Menten J, Phillips C, Fay M, Nishikawa R, Cairncross G, Roa W, Osoba D, Rossiter J, Sahgal A, Hirte H, Laigle-Donadey F, Franceschi E, Chinot O, Golfinopoulos V, Fariselli L, Wick A, Feuvret L, Back M, Tills M, Winch C, Baumert B, Wick W, Ding K, Mason W. Short-Course Radiation with Temozolomide in Elderly Glioblastoma Patients. N Engl J Med. 2017 Mar 16; 376(11):1027-1037.
- COGNO (Aust Neuro-oncology Clinical trials)
- The Brain Cancer Group Sydney
- Former Cancer Council NSW Board Member
- Society of Neuro-oncology (USA)
- British Neuro-oncology Society (UK)