What is Gamma Knife?
Gamma Knife isn’t a physical knife, and there’s no surgery involved. It’s a non-invasive alternative to neurosurgery.
- • Gamma Knife is used to treat some brain conditions, including cancerous and non-cancerous tumours
• It was developed in the late 1960s and used with hundreds of thousands of patients around the world
• Gamma Knife uses around 200 highly focused and very powerful intersecting beams of gamma radiation. They’re precisely targeted to avoid healthy areas of the brain
• Planning your treatment may take up to 90 minutes. The treatment itself is usually completed within a couple of hours
• Before treatment, you’re fitted with a head frame to keep your head completely still during the procedure. This involves having a local anaesthetic
• Treatment is completely painless and accurate to within one-tenth of a millimeter