GenesisCare is closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in Australia and we are taking all necessary precautions to minimise the impact on our patients and staff.
As of Friday morning, March 6, the number of confirmed coronavirus patients in Australia sat at 50, with all states and territories recording cases of the COVID-19 virus.
The WHO, Australian Department of Health, Public Health England and International SOS, among others, continue to provide updates on coronavirus including the current interpretation of risks and precautionary measures.
GenesisCare Oncology Chair, Clinical Leaders Forum, Dr Marie Burke, said, “While more than 80 per cent of confirmed coronavirus cases are considered not severe, the virus has proven to be dangerous, and at times fatal, in immunocompromised individuals, including the sick and elderly.”
“The health and safety of our patients is our number one priority and we urge all our patients who are undergoing treatment at one of our centres to adhere to the following guidance.”
To keep our patients and staff safe in our centres, we ask that you:
- Disclose whether you have travelled overseas in the last 14 days to your centre prior to visiting for treatment
- Continue to adhere to self-isolation requirements if you have recently returned from Iran, China and South Korea (not including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan). Please contact your centre if you are concerned about how self-isolation may impact your treatment
- If you have travelled to China or Iran in the past 14 days and have become unwell, please contact your local health authority directly to inform them of your symptoms and recent travel to the country
- Contact your centre prior to treatment if you haven’t travelled to high-risk countries but are experiencing symptoms such as fever and/or shortness of breath or cough
All scheduled patients in Australia will receive a text prior to their appointment reminding them of the above guidance.
In addition to the above, we urge all patients and staff to follow these important infection control techniques to protect yourself and others:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water or use a hand sanitiser
- Avoid touching your face
- Practice correct coughing and sneezing etiquette (cover your mouth and nose entirely with a tissue or your upper sleeve)
- Avoid unnecessarily touching communal surfaces
“GenesisCare has an emergency response plan in place which we will activate in the event that a patient and/or staff member comes into contact with the virus,” said Dr Burke.
“The safety of you and your families, along with our teams on the ground in our centres, is our top priority.”
“Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected by the virus, both here in Australia and overseas.”