Special clinical interest in neuro-oncology, stereotactic radiosurgery and Gamma Knife surgery.
Dr Gzell completed a Bachelor of Medicine at the University of Newcastle in 2003 and trained in radiation oncology predominantly at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney, gaining specialist qualifications in 2011. She did a postgraduate fellowship in neuro-oncology at Royal North Shore Hospital from 2012-2014. Subsequently she has built a busy neuro-oncology practice in Sydney and completed her PHD in radiation therapy for glioblastoma in 2017. Dr Gzell is particularly interested in the management of gliomas and complex neuro-oncology patients as well as the utility of Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Gamma Knife surgery. She has strong connections to the co-operative group of neuro-oncology (COGNO) and the stereotactic interest group of Australasia (SIGA), for which she is a founding member and current treasurer. Watch a video of Dr Gzell talking about Gamma Knife Surgery here.
- COGNO best Oral presentation award 2014
Dr Gzell is also interested in imaging in neuro-oncology.
- Co-operative trials group of Neuro-Oncology (COGNO)
- Society of Neuro-Oncology (SNO)
- Stereotactic interest group of Australasia (SIGA)
- International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society (ISRS)
- ISRS 2021 ASM committee
- SIGA management committee and treasurer
- Brain cancer and biobanking Australia
Publications & affiliations
- Ovens C, Dean B, Gzell C,… Optimal management in optic nerve sheath meningioma – A multicentre study and pooled data analysis, journal of clinical neuroscience, 80: 162-8, 10/2020
- Yin C, Chen B, Barnett Y, Ho B, Gzell c, & Emmett L, Biopsy proven brain metastases from prostate adenocarcinoma on 68Ga PSMA PET/CT: Case series and review of the literature, Journal of Head Neck and Spine Surgery, 3(4): 001-006, 2018
- Harris G, Jayamanne D, Wheeler H, Gzell C, Kastelan M, Schembri G, Brazier D, Cook R, Parkinson J, Khasraw M, Louw S, & Back M, Survival outcomes of elderly patients with glioblastoma multiforme in their 75th year or older treated with adjuvant therapy, IJROBP (Impact factor 5.8599), 98(4):802-10, 2017
- Gzell C, Back M, Wheeler HR, Bailey D, & Foote M. Radiotherapy in glioblastoma: past, present, and future, Clinical Oncology (Impact factor 3.398), 29(1):15-25, January 2017
- Gzell C, Wheeler H, McCloud P, Kastelan M, & Back M, Small increases in enhancement on MRI may predict survival post radiotherapy in patients with glioblastoma, Journal of Neuro-Oncology (Impact factor 3.070), 128(1):67-74, May 2016