Through an active partnership and strong communication, I am committed to helping patients navigate their cancer journey in a positive way.
Special clinical interest in urological, lung and gastrointestinal cancers, stereotactic radiotherapy for primary and metastatic cancers and palliative radiotherapy.
Dr Alex Tan completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne in 1999 and specialist training at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in 2008. He then completed a Fellowship with the Academic Urology Unit at the Royal Marsden Hospital and Institute of Cancer Research in the UK.
Following this, Dr Tan returned to Australia to work at the Townsville Cancer Centre, North Queensland, until 2021.
Dr Tan is heavily involved in education, research and the development of new services. He introduced the stereotactic body radiotherapy service to North Queensland in 2013 and was the lead of the MR-linac project which saw the implementation of the first MR-linac in Australia in 2019.
Dr Tan lectures medical students weekly, served as the Director of Training for 8 years and has been a Phase 2 examiner for the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists since 2015. He has been principal investigator for a number of national and international trials.
These efforts in the education and research sphere have resulted in his appointment as Associate Professor at James Cook University.
Dr Tan treats patients at the Buderim and Nambour centres and offers consulting clinics from Birtinya, Noosa and Cooroy.
Appointed Associate Professor, James Cook University School of Medicine and Dentistry in recognition of efforts in the education sphere.
Treatment accuracy, image guidance, motion management, stereotactic radiotherapy, oligometastatic disease, prostate cancer, MRI-guided radiotherapy.
Publications and affiliations
- Patel D, Brown A, Pain P, Tan A. Absence of prostate oedema obviates the need for delay between fiducial marker insertion and radiotherapy simulation. Journal of Medical Radiation Sciences, July 2020
- Shankar M, Kim A, Brown A, Tan A. Anatomical and dosimetric assessment of the prostate apex: A pilot comparison of image-guided transperineal ultrasound to conventional computed tomography simulation. Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology, May 2020
- Ngoo A, Tan A, Mushaya C, Ho YH. Short and long course neoadjuvant therapy compared for management of locally advanced rectal cancer: 11 years’ experience at a regional centre. ANZ Journal of Surgery, Jan 2020
- Brown A, Tan A, Cooper S, Fielding A. Obesity does not affect prostate intrafractional motion. Journal of Medical Radiation Sciences, Jan 2018
- Oates R, Brown A, Tan A, et al. Real-time Image-guided Adaptive-predictive Prostate Radiotherapy using Rectal Diameter as a Predictor of Motion. Clinical Oncology, March 2017, 29 (3): 180-7