Mr Anil Hemandas is a specialist Laparoscopic Colorectal and General Surgeon. He graduated in 1994 from University of Health Sciences, India. After rotating as a junior doctor, he undertook a period of research at the National University Hospital in Singapore, studying the molecular basis of Colorectal Cancer and mechanisms of the spread of cancer to distant organs beyond the bowel.
Mr Hemandas went on to obtain higher specialist training and colorectal subspecialisation in the Wessex region where his advanced laparoscopic skills were further developed at the National Laparoscopic Training Unit at the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth. He subsequently underwent further subspecialist fellowship training at the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh, one of the largest Specialist Colorectal units in Western Europe, and also at the world-renowned St Marks Hospital and Academic Institute in Harrow, London.
Mr Hemandas has a strong research background in this area, having published and presented extensively at national and international level on the benefits of the laparoscopic approach in the management of bowel cancer.
- Bowel cancer screening – early detection and treatment of bowel cancer
- Gastroscopy (upper endoscopy)
- Surgery for bowel cancer – open and keyhole (laparoscopic) techniques
- Surgery for inflammatory bowel diseases – Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- British Medical Association
- General Medical Council
- Association of Surgeons of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland