Dr TV Ajithkumar is a Consultant Clinical Oncologist at Addenbrooke’s Hospital. He qualified in medicine from Trivandrum Medical College, India. He undertook a research fellowship in the Royal Marsden Hospital, London followed by speciality training in Clinical Oncology in the Eastern Deanery before becoming a Consultant Clinical Oncologist Bristol Oncology Centre in 2006. He moved back to East Anglia in 2009 as a Consultant in Clinical Oncology at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals and subsequently to Cambridge in 2014.
His research interest is to optimize the combination of radiotherapy with novel agents in hepato-pancreatico-biliary tumours to improve clinical outcomes. Dr Ajithkumar is the radiotherapy research lead for the Eastern Cancer Research Network.
He is the lead editor of three oncology text books :Specialist training in Oncology (Elsevier), Oxford Desk Reference in Oncology, and Oxford Case histories in Oncology and is the lead author of the upcoming text book, Oxford Specialist Handbook in Oncology-Radiotherapy planning.
- Advanced techniques for haematological radiotherapy
- Radiotherapy, including SABR for hepato-biliary and pancreatic cancers
- Paediatric radiation Oncology
Publications & affiliations
- Novel techniques in radiotherapy and optimisation of the combination of drugs with stereotactic ablative radiotherapy.
- Chief investigator of the PORTICO-SABR study, which evaluate the optimal combination of novel agents with SABR for operable pancreatic cancer
- Chair, SIOPE Brain tumour radiotherapy group
- Radiotherapy lead for SIOPE Non-germinomatous germ cell tumours
- Principal investigator of Re-irradiation working group; International consortium on Paediatric Normal Tissue Effects in the Clinic (PENTEC)
- Member: Quality and Excellence in Radiotherapy and Imaging for Children and Adolescents with Cancer across Europe in Clinical Trials (QUARTET) project
- Member: NCRI CCLG CNS group and NCRI pancreatic cancer working group
- Radiotherapy lead for NCRI CCLG GCT subgroup and national advisory panel
- Member, Clinical and Translational Radiotherapy Research Working Group (NCRI- CtRAd)
- Editorial member of Royal College of Radiologist Journal Clinical Oncology