Special clinical interest in colorectal cancer, lung cancer and cancer of the unknown primary (CUP).
Dr Islam is a Consultant Clinical Oncologist specialising in treating colorectal, lung and Cancer of Unknown Primary (CUP). He completed his specialist oncology training at Royal Marsden Hospital and Guy’s Hospital and obtained his Diploma in Oncology from Institute of Cancer Research (ICR), London. He was awarded the Brian Wither Travel Grant and Patricia McGregor Travel Fellowship to present his work in florida, USA regarding precision Radiotherapy (SABR/SBRT).
He has successfully implemented use of SBRT for early lung cancer and 4DCT for all radical lung radiotherapy. His special interest is in using SBRT for lung metastasis and oligometastatic disease. He is involved in lung and colorectal cancer trials as Principal and Co-investigator, and has been published in peer reviewed journals.
Alongside his work as a clinical oncologist, Dr Islam has been teaching the Trainers of Tomorrow and supporting the education of medical students.
- Targeted therapy
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT)
- Image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT)
- Colorectal cancer
- Lung cancer
- Cancer of Unknown Primary (CUP)
NHS Hospital / current post(s)
- Lung SABR co-lead at Southend Hospital
- The principal investigator for lung and colorectal cancer trials
- Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR)
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP)
- Brian Wither Travel Grant and Patricia McGregor Travel Fellowship to present work in Florida, USA regarding precision radiotherapy (stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) and stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT)