Centre for radiotherapy
Offering fast access to cancer treatment in Birmingham.
Easy access to treatments and services
Accessing the treatments you need couldn’t be easier.
There’s no waiting list. Your treatment can usually start within 5 days of referral.
We’re recognised by all the major private medical insurers and we also offer a range of self-pay options. We can help with the paperwork too.
At Birmingham we offer:
We’re always pushing the boundaries investing in the most advanced technology to develop better targeted radiotherapy treatments to provide:
- Surface Guided Radiotherapy (SGRT) enabling:
- o Tattoo free treatments
o Faceless shells for patients with brain and head and neck cancers – this provides a less claustrophobic experience
o Quick daily treatment set-up reducing the time you spend in the centre each day
- Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT), daily imaging to accurately target the treatment site.
- Deep Inspiration Breath Hold (DIBH) – this technique reduces movement in the area treated. For patients with left sided breast cancer it reduces the risk of damage to the heart. It is also used for patients with cancers of the chest and abdomen.
- Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy (SABR) delivers fewer but larger doses of radiotherapy to treat certain cancers. This can significantly reduce your treatment period.
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) We offer VMAT to all patients. This includes patients needing palliative treatment who we normally treat within 2 days.
- Partial Breast Irradiation (PBI) is suitable for low-risk patients and has significantly fewer side effects offering better cosmetic outcomes without compromising long-term clinical outcomes.
- SpaceOAR Hydrogel – this implant can improve the short and long-term side-effects of prostate radiotherapy treatment. And is available to all men who would benefit at no additional cost.
The little big things
Parking, transport and appointment times – they all matter. We’ll do everything we can to help you get on with your life throughout your treatment plan.
And that’s why we offer:
- Fast access when you need it
- A carefully scheduled treatment programme
- A choice of consultation times
- A comfortable, modern, calm and relaxing environment
- Free on-site parking
- Friendly and supportive team
- A private car service for radiotherapy patients if required
We have a whole team of experts – from consultant oncologists, haematologists, and radiologists to specialist nurses, radiographers and patient support staff. And they’re all here to help you.
Once you’re referred to us, we’ll contact you to arrange an initial planning appointment. We will talk you through what to expect and answer any questions you have.
How to find us
From Stafford and the North
Leave M6 at junction 12, join the A5 (signposted Brownhills). After the village of Great Wyrley pick up the A452 (Brownhills) and continue south. Turn left onto the A454 (Sutton Coldfield) and the hospital is situated approximately one mile on the right at the brow of the hill.
From Central Birmingham
Take the A38 north (signposted Lichfield). At Erdington turn left onto the A452 (Brownhills) and continue north. Turn right onto the A454 (Sutton Coldfield). The hospital is situated approximately one mile on the right at the brow of the hill.
From Lichfield and Burton-on-Trent
Take the A38 south following signs for Walsall (not Birmingham). At the A5 roundabout join the A5127 (Sutton Coldfield) for approximately two miles. Turn right onto the A4026 (Blake Street) and right again at the traffic lights (Little Aston Lane). At the next junction turn right onto the A454 (Aldridge Road). The hospital is situated approximately 800 yards on the left on the brow of the hill.
Birmingham New Street is the nearest mainline station to Spire Little Aston Hospital. From there, take another train to Blake Street, where the hospital is a short taxi journey away.
The no. 6 bus between Walsall and Sutton Coldfield, stops at the end of the hospital’s drive.