GenesisCare, Kingswood offers access to evidence-based cancer care services including radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and haematology to local and regional NSW communities
Our Kingswood centre is located near to the Nepean Hospital. The team at GenesisCare, Kingswood strive to deliver a personalised care experience designed to help patients achieve the best possible clinical outcomes.
Our team is dedicated to offering rapid access to consultation and treatment to the local and regional community, in a comfortable and relaxing environment.
Patient care is managed by a multidisciplinary team of passionate healthcare professionals with experience in oncology including: radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, registered nurses, radiation therapists, physicists, and a friendly team of support staff.
Our centre is located on the ground floor of the Somerset Specialist Centre in a relaxed and comfortable environment. Free onsite parking is available for patients, during their treatment. Our consulting rooms are found on level 2 of the centre, with beautiful views towards the Blue Mountains. Access is available to a package for rural, regional, and interstate patients including accommodation and transport to the centre (from their accommodation).
Our treatments and services
Radiation therapy uses high energy X-rays or other particles to treat cancer and can be used at all stages. Radiation therapy techniques can include: Deep Inspiration Breath Hold (DIBH), External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT), Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), Stereotactic Ablative Body Radiotherapy (SABR), Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT), and specialised non-surgical treatment for skin cancer.
Chemotherapy is an approach to cancer therapy which involves the administration of medicine, usually orally or by injection, which is intended to kill cancer cells or minimise their growth and spread. Chemotherapy can be used in conjunction with other cancer treatments.
Immunotherapy is a type of treatment that is intended to help your own immune system fight cancer. There are different types of immunotherapy for cancer that work in different ways.
Haematology is the medical speciality relating to conditions that affect the blood, and the organs that make the blood as well as cancers of the blood. A Haematologist will look after patients requiring specialist advice for bleeding disorders, or blood cancers, and may prescribe chemotherapy as a treatment option. The Haematologist, may also refer to other specialists participating in the multi-disciplinary team, for instance a Radiation Oncologist if radiotherapy treatment is advised.
Allied health services
At GenesisCare, Kingswood we offer you access to a range of allied health services, all tailored to support your needs. One of our treatment team will discuss the most suitable options with you. Support services offered may include:
- Speech pathology
- Physiotherapy packages
- On-site pharmacy
- On-site McGrath nurses for breast cancer support
- Nepean Pets as Therapy
- Palliative referral services
- Rehabilitation referral services
Considerable research and clinical evidence has established that exercise may be beneficial for people with cancer; however, there is no one-size-fits-all approach.1,2 Every person’s circumstances are unique and these should be take into account. Tailored exercise programs designed by an exercise professional that include both aerobic and resistance training activities have been shown to provide benefits.3 To learn more about incorporating exercise during your cancer journey, please speak with your doctor and treatment team.
At GenesisCare, Kingswood we offer access to an onsite dietitian who aims to help patients with nutrition related concerns that they may have during treatment. Our Kingswood centre dietitian strives to provide a supportive service that includes:
- Nutritional Assessment: A comprehensive evaluation of current diet, nutritional status, and expected nutritional needs considering the patient's individual circumstances such as diagnosis, medical history, and treatment plans
- Dietary Counselling: Tailored nutrition advice and strategic dietary recommendations that take into consideration personal needs, goals, and lifestyle
- Education: Translate the science of nutrition into everyday information about food and nutrition, and to help provide each patient with the confidence to eat and drink well before, during and after treatment.
GenesisCare, Kingswood has partnered with Penrith Physio to help ensure our patients are receiving experienced support. The physiotherapists offer access to tailored support programs including:
- Lymphoedema management
- Men’s health service
- Women’s health physiotherapy
- Musculoskeletal physiotherapy and exercise medicine
As a patient at GenesisCare, Kingswood access may be offered to a speech pathologist, as clinically required. A speech pathologist is a health professional who diagnoses and treats people having difficulties with swallowing, speech, language, and voice.4 The speech pathology team at GenesisCare provides swallowing and communication assessment and treatment for patients before, during, and after cancer treatment. At GenesisCare, Kingswood the speech pathology service may include:
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment for problems with communication and swallowing using evidence-based treatment approaches
- Specialist assessment and management of swallowing problems using Fibreoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- Education and counselling to the patient, family and carers on diet modification, management, and treatment side effects, plus swallowing and communication rehabilitation
- A patient centred and collaborative approach aim to optimise patient care, with a shared decision-making process throughout the patient journey
The friendly GenesisCare, Kingswood team will be able to help you with any questions you have and to book an appointment with a speech pathologist.
Complimentary patient parking, including disabled spaces, is available in the underground car park, entry via Derby Street. Parking is also available in surrounding streets
Kingswood train station is a short 10 minute walk to Somerset Specialist Centre. It also has easy access to bus routes. Conveniently, bus stops are located on Derby St which is adjacent to Somerset Specialist Centre.
Dr Amanda Stevanovic
BMed Grad Dip Clin Res FRACP A/FRACMA Bachelor of Medicine, Graduate Diploma in Clinical Research, Fellow Royal Australian College of Physicians, Associate Fellow Royal Australian College Medical Administration
Dr Monique Heinke
BSc (Hons Class 1), PhD, MBBS, FRANZCR
Kingswood (Oncology) +2
- Campbell KL, Winters-Stone KM, Wiskemann J, et al. Exercise guidelines for cancer survivors: Consensus statement from international multidisciplinary roundtable. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2019;51(11):2375–2390.
- Hayes SC, Newton RU, Spence RR, et al. The Exercise and Sports Science Australia position statement: Exercise medicine in cancer management. J Sci Med Sport 2019;22(11):1175–1199.
- Buffart LM, Kalter J, Sweegers MG, et al. Effects and moderators of exercise on quality of life and physical function in patients with cancer: An individual patient data meta-analysis of 34 RCTs. Cancer Treat Rev 2017;52:91–104.
- Speech Pathology Australia. ‘What is a speech pathologist?’. Available from: https://www.speechpathologyaustralia.org.au/SPAweb/Resources_for_the_Public/What_is_a_Speech_Pathologist/SPAweb/Resources_for_the_Public/What_is_a_Speech_Pathologist/What_is_a_Speech_Pathologist.aspx?hkey=7e5fb9f8-c226-4db6-934c-0c3987214d7a (accessed May 2023).”