Tev moved from New Zealand to the UK in 2003 to take up a Fellowship in Uro-oncology at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (CUH). He was appointed as a consultant at CUH after completing his fellowship and has specialised in benign prostate and kidney cancer surgery since.
During his training in NZ he spent a year learning Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP) from the urologists who invented it (Peter Gilling & Mark Fraundorfer).
In 2004, Tev introduced HoLEP at CUH where it rapidly became, and remains, the gold standard surgical treatment for male Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and urinary retention. CUH was one of the first UK centres to offer HoLEP.
Tev is the most experienced HoLEP surgeon in the UK (has done more than 2,200 procedures). He is frequently invited to lecture on HoLEP in the UK and abroad and has convened annual HoLEP courses at CUH since 2005. He has demonstrated live laser prostate surgery (including the world’s first thulium laser enucleation of the prostate) at more than 30 conferences throughout the world. He also has experience with other BPH procedures including laser vaporisation, urolift, rezum and aquablation.
Tev was the founding President of the UK Holmium User Group (HUG). He designed and implemented the national HUG Training Programme for HoLEP (a model which is now used internationally), and has mentored many surgeons in HoLEP.
Tev has been involved in HoLEP research from its earliest days, and has published and presented widely on the subject.
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP)
- Urolift procedure for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Rezum (steam treatment) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Surgical treatment of kidney cancer
- Investigation of haematuria (blood in the urine)
- Treatment of male urinary retention and lower urinary tract symptoms
Publications & affiliations
- Spatiotemporal immune zonation of the human kidney.
- WATER: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Controlled Trial of Aquablation ® vs Transurethral Resection of the Prostate in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.
- Recommendations for Safe and Efficient Morcellation After Endoscopic Enucleation of the Prostate.
- Anatomical endoscopic enucleation of the prostate: The next gold standard? Yes!
- Single-cell transcriptomes from human kidneys reveal the cellular identity of renal tumors.
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- European Association of Urology
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons