Mr Youssef is a consultant general surgeon at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
His speciality is oncoplastic breast surgery which balances oncologic safety for cancer surgery with good cosmetic outcomes. Oncoplastic surgery combines the skills of general surgery and plastic surgery.
He has extensive experience in performing the full spectrum of breast surgical procedures.
Breast conserving surgery can range from a simple wide local excision (lumpectomy) to more complex procedures when larger volume of excision is necessary. Mr Youssef is highly experienced in volume displacement techniques such as therapeutic mammoplasty and volume replacement such as chest wall perforator flaps (eg. LiCAP, LTAP) for partial breast reconstruction.
Sometimes, mastectomy may be indicated and can be combined with immediate reconstruction.
Mr Youssef is experienced in skin-sparing mastectomy, nipple-sparing mastectomy and immediate reconstruction with implants and ADM (Acellular Dermal Matrix) or Latissimus Dorsi flap. He pioneered pre-pectoral implant reconstruction and has led the auditing of patient reported outcome measures (PROMs) for this technique in Norwich.
Delayed breast procedures after completion of treatment can include delayed total breast reconstruction, lipofilling (fat grafting), breast reduction or augmentation and nipple/areola reconstruction.
Mr Youssef has published many articles in peer-reviewed journals focusing on surgical oncology, oncoplastic surgery techniques and patient-reported outcomes after breast reconstruction.
He is a lecturer at the medical school of the UEA and a tutor in courses teaching breast reconstruction. He regularly participates and presents in international and national meetings.
- Breast Surgery
- Patients’ reported outcome measures (PROMs)
- Oncoplastic Surgery
- Surgical Oncology
- Axillary management
Publications and affiliations
- Significantly reducing implant loss rates in immediate implant-based breast reconstruction: A protocol and completed audit of quality assurance
HJ Knight, JJ Musgrove, MMG Yousef, DJ Ferguson, Sisse Olsen, Rachel Tillett – Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery, 2019
- The Use of Latissimus Dorsi Mini-Flap in Partial Breast Reconstruction. Ibraheem, M., Youssef, Y. Abdalla, R. Boutrus, A. Farouk, and A. Morsi – Journal of Cancer Science and Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 3, issue 4, pp. 240-250, 2019.
- Batwing mammoplasty – a safe oncoplastic technique for breast conservation in breast cancer patients with gigantomastia. Tamer M Manie, Mina MG Youssef, Sherif N Taha, Ahmed Rabea, Ahmed M Farahat – Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- The effect of Oncotype DX on adjuvant chemotherapy treatment decision in early breast cancer.
Mohamed Rabie, Adeline Rankin, Amy Burger, Mina Youssef – Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2019 Jun 20:1.
- The significance of sentinel lymph node micrometastasis in breast cancer: Comparing outcomes with and without axillary clearance.
Youssef M, Cameron D, Pucher P, Olsen S, Ferguson D – Breast. 2016 Sep 23;30:101-104. doi: 10.1016/j.breast.2016.09.005.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England – Fellow
- Association of Breast Surgeons – ABS
- European Society of Surgical Oncology – ESSO