Mr Jonathan Dawson is a consultant General Surgeon with specialist interest in Breast Surgery for Breast Cancer.
He was a lecturer at University College London for eight years, during which time he undertook research in the treatment of breast and colorectal cancer, publishing and presenting work on breast and colorectal cancer laparoscopic and hernia surgery, and photodynamic therapy. Mr Dawson was awarded the Blackwell prize and shortlisted for the Moynihan prize (Association of Surgeons Great Britain and Ireland) and a travelling Fellowship by the Royal Society of Medicine and fellowships in Hong Kong and Cleveland Clinic, USA.
In 1996 Mr Dawson was appointed consultant surgeon at Northampton General Hospital to undertake breast surgery as well as general surgery. He was the lead surgeon for the breast unit from 2000 until 2015, and lead clinician responsible for the delivery of breast cancer services until 2018.
During this time he introduced techniques of sentinel node biopsy, mammotome excision and symptomatic ultrasound of the breast. He developed the reconstruction service at Northampton General Hospital Breast Unit, during which time the unit changed from being one of the lowest performing units in the country to undertaking over 100 reconstructions a year.
- Consultant General
- Breast Surgeon
- University College London
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Hong Kong Clinic
- Cleveland Clinic, USA
- Northampton General Hospital
- Breast cancer
- Breast surgery
- Oncoplastic breast surgery
- Treatment of breast cancer
- Breast reduction/gynaecomastia
- Inguinal hernia, femoral hernia, incisional hernia, recurrent hernia, laparoscopic surgery, keyhole hernia repair
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Association of Surgical Oncology
- Association of Breast Surgeons
- Blackwell prize
- Shortlisted for the Moynihan prize (Association of Surgeons Great Britain and Ireland)