Mr Devalia leads the Kent Breast Cancer network (TSSG Chair) and previously led the multidisciplinary team at the Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Hospital.
Mr Devalia is a fully-accredited breast and oncoplastic surgeon and is on the GMC’s Specialist Register. He has published as first or senior author in journals on clinical management of breast cancer and techniques.
Mr Devalia was certified as “Best student at National level in General Surgery” (August 1997) and was awarded a Gold Medal in the final examination for the Diploma of National Board, India.
He commenced his higher surgical training in Oxford Deanery and continued as a specialist registrar in Southwest Thames surgical rotation in the London Deanery. He trained at various hospitals including St. Georges Hospital (London), Ashford & St. Peter’s Hospital (Chertsey), the Royal Surrey County Hospital (Guildford) and worked as a senior registrar in the oncoplastic breast unit at the Royal Marsden Hospital (Sutton).
After the completion of his training, he was appointed as a locum Consultant Breast and Oncoplastic surgeon at the Royal Surrey County Hospital and the Royal Marsden Hospital before his substantive appointment at Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust as a Consultant Breast and Oncoplastic Surgeon.
He also takes special interest in training higher surgical trainees in teaching various oncoplastic procedures for breast conservation and avoid mastectomy in selected patients with breast cancer.
- BEST ONCOPLASTIC AND AESTHETIC BREAST SURGEONS – ENGLAND
- Mr Devalia has published research on ‘Oncological safety of skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction’.
Publications and affiliations
- A differential intra-operative molecular biological test for the detection of sentinel lymph node metastases in breast carcinoma. An extended experience from the first U.K. centre routinely offering the service in clinical practice.
Babar M, Madani R, Thwaites L, Jackson PA, Devalia HL, Chakravorty A, Irvine TE, Layer GT, Kissin MW.
Eur J Surg Oncol. 2014 Mar;40(3):282-8.
- Validation of a technique using microbubbles and contrast enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) to biopsy sentinel lymph nodes (SLN) in pre-operative breast cancer patients with a normal grey-scale axillary ultrasound.
Cox K, Sever A, Jones S, Weeks J, Mills P, Devalia H, Fish D, Jones P.
Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Jul;39(7):760-5.
- Factors that impact the upgrading of atypical ductal hyperplasia.
Gümüş H, Mills P, Gümüş M, Fish D, Jones S, Jones P, Devalia H, Sever A.
Diagn Interv Radiol. 2013 Mar-Apr;19(2):91-6.
- Causes of failure in removing calcium in microcalcification-only lesions using 11-gauge stereotactic vacuum-assisted breast biopsy.
Gümüş H, Gümüş M, Devalia H, Mills P, Fish D, Jones P, Uyar A, Sever A. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2012 Jul-Aug;18(4):354-9.
- Clinically palpable breast abnormalities with normal imaging: is clinically guided biopsy still required?
Gumus H, Gumus M, Mills P, Fish D, Devalia H, Jones SE, Jones PA, Sever AR.
Clin Radiol. 2012 May;67(5):437-40
- British Medical Association
- Association of Breast Surgeons (ABS)
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh