Mr Bhaskar K Somani is Consultant Urological Surgeon within Medicine at the University of Southampton.
Mr Somani is the Endourology lead, with responsibility for running the stone clinics, operating lists, MDT and lithotripsy services (SWL). He is a high-volume surgeon and performs more than 200 ureteric or renal endoscopic procedures per year, specializing in paediatric stone surgery.
Mr Somani published one of the first papers in the world on upper tract PDD using oral 5ALA for upper urinary tract tumour diagnosis. His papers on testicular torsion, erectile dysfunction, haematuria and penile length measurement are among the largest series in the UK. Mr Somani has also published systematic reviews on ureteroscopy in obese patients, patients with bleeding diathesis, patients with very large stones, in pregnancy, in horseshoe kidneys and for stones in paediatric population.
Mr Somani is the audit lead for the unit. He is also the simulation and benign urology research lead for Wessex.
He has published more than 90 papers and 150 published abstracts in national and international meetings.
- ‘Golden Cystoscope’ award by British Association of Urological Surgeons for 2021
- ‘Arthur Smith Endourology award’ by Endourological Society – first and only surgeon from UK to win this award, 2020
- Best British Urology (BAUS) Endourology paper for the year 2021
- Honorary Fellowship (FRCS) given by Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (2020)
- Winner – clinical research award: EAU section of urolithiasis (EULIS), 2019
- Benign prostate disorders and interventions for them (TURP, Rezum, PAE, Urolift and lasers)
- Simple and complex urinary tract infections (vaccines, D-Mannose, intravesical antibiotics)
- Kidney and bladder stone disease
- Haematuria (blood in urine)
- General urology (circumcision, scrotal procedures)
Publications & affiliations
- Post-ureteroscopy infections are linked to pre-operative stent dwell time over two months: outcomes of three European endourology centres (Jan 2022)
- 1-year cost-utility analysis of prostate artery embolization (PAE) versus transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) (Oct 2021)
- Laser-patterned paper-based sensors for rapid point-of-care detection and antibiotic-resistance testing of bacterial infections (Jan 2020)
- Strategies to improve patient outcomes and QOL: Current complications of the design and placements of ureteric stents (Aug 2020)
- A method to evaluate trainee progression during simulation training at the Urology Simulation Boot Camp (USBC) Course (Aug 2018)
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
- European Association of Urologists
- American Urological Association