Mr Amyn Haji was appointed as a Consultant Colorectal & Laparoscopic Surgeon at King’s College Hospital, London in 2011. He graduated from the University of Cambridge medical school in 1999 (MA MBBChir) and subsequently completed his basic surgical training in North East Thames at University College London and Essex. His specialist higher surgical training was based in South East Thames from 2003-2010 with admission as a Fellow to the Royal College of Surgeons of England in March 2010. He is committed to clinical research and was awarded a Masters in Surgical Science from the University of Kent in 2006, and a Doctorate in Medicine (MD-Res) from King’s College London in 2011.
His expertise lies in laparoscopic general and colorectal surgery and interventional endoscopy. He trained in advanced endoscopic techniques at Showa University, Japan with Professors Kudo and Inuoue and currently leads the tertiary referral service of endoscopic resection of gastrointestinal polyps at King’s College Hospital.
He has authored over 100 papers and is currently the chairman of King’s Live Endoscopy and Director of Endoscopy at King’s College Hospital.
- Colorectal Surgeon
- Graduated from the University of Cambridge medical school in 1999 (MA MBBChir)
- Completed his basic surgical training in North East Thames at University College London and Essex.
- Masters in Surgical Science from the University of Kent in 2006
- Doctorate in Medicine (MD-Res) from King’s College London in 2011
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Mr Amyn Haji has a special clinical interest in lower GI surgery and research interests in early colorectal cancer, endoscopic ultrasound, endoscopic resection of colorectal polyps.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons RCS England 2010
- Fellow of ACPGBI Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain & Ireland 2010
- British Journal of Surgery Prize for Best Paper, ACPGBI Annual Meeting, Harrogate – June 2009
- Kings Development Award, Kings College London- Oct 2009
- ASCRS Overseas Travelling Fellowship – May 2010
- RSM Coloproctology Fellowship – March 2011
- Haji A. Surgical Management of Perianal abscesses – A Trainee’s Perspective. Int Journal of Surgery 2006, Vol. 8, No. 2.
- Haji A. The role of Positron Emission Tomography in the management of recurrent rectal cancer – a review of the literature. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2007, Vol. 68: 11, 580 – 583.
- Marzouk D, Abou-Zeid, Antoniou A, Haji A, Benziger H. Sinus excision, release of coccy-cutaneous attachments and dermal subcuticular closure (XRD procedure). A novel technique in flattening natal cleft in pilonidal sinus treatment. Annals RCS Eng 2008, Vol 90 (5): 371-376.
- Faiz O, Haji A, Bottle A, Clark S, Darzi A, Aylin P. Elective colonic surgery for cancer in the elderly: an investigation into post operative mortality in English NHS hospitals between 1996 and 2007. Colorectal Disease 2010; PMID: 20412094.
- Faiz O, Haji A, Burns E, Bottle A, Kennedy R, Darzi A, Aylin P. Hospital stay amongst patients undergoing major elective colorectal surgery: predicting prolonged stay and readmissions in NHS hospitals. Colorectal Disease 2010; PMID: 20402737.