Special clinical interest in urological and colorectal cancers
Dr Sophie Otter is a Consultant Clinical Oncologist specialising in the treatment of prostate, bladder and colorectal cancers. She provides treatment with systemic therapy (chemotherapy, immunotherapy and hormone therapy), image guided radiotherapy and prostate brachytherapy.
She qualified from medical school at the University of Cambridge in 2004 with distinctions in Medicine, Surgery and Pathology. Her medical and oncological training was at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals and the Royal Marsden Hospital.
She has completed an MSc in Oncology and an MD(Res) at the University of Surrey focusing on image guided radiotherapy for pelvic tumours. She currently works at the Royal Surrey County Hospital and continues to have a keen research interest particularly in radiotherapy and brachytherapy.
- Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Trust
- Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitasl
- Patricia McGregor Travel Fellowships Fund, 2012
- Distinction in MSc Oncology, 2014
- ESTRO 37 Junior Brachytherapy Travel Grant, 2018
- ESTRO 38 Junior Brachytherapy Travel Grant, 2019
- Keith Durrant Memorial Fellowship, RCR, 2019
Dr Otter has clinical interests in urological and colorectal cancers
Publication & affiliations
- Otter S, Whittaker S, Chatterjee J, Stewart A. The Human Papillomavirus as a Common Pathogen in Head and Neck, Cervical and Anal Cancers. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 31:81-90, 2019
- Otter S, Chatterjee J, Stewart A, Micheal A. The Role of Biomarkers for the Prediction of Response to Checkpoint Immunotherapy and the Rationale for the Use of Checkpoint Immunotherapy in Cervical Cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 31:834-843. 2019
- Otter S, Stewart A, Devlin P. Modern Brachytherapy. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. Dec;33(6):1011-1025, 2019
- Otter S, Holloway, C, Devlin P, Stewart A. Clinical Applications of Brachytherapy-Low Dose Rate and Pulse Dose Rate (chapter 26). Perez & Brady’s Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology. 7th edition. 2019
- Otter S, Holloway C, O’Farrell D, Devlin D, Stewart A. Brachytherapy (chapter 20). Clinical Radiation Oncology. Gunderson and Tepper. 5th edition 2020.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists (RCR)
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP)
- Member of the European Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ESTRO)