Special clinical interest in benign, malignant and laboratory haematology.
Dr Mehta has been a consultant haematologist for over 10 years with experience in benign, malignant and laboratory haematology.
Her expertise is in red cell disorders (anaemias) and malignancies like Acute and Chronic Leukaemias, Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) and Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (MPN).
She has extensive experience in laboratory haematology and providing interpretation and guidance on haematological lab investigations.
Dr Mehta’s research interest in myeloid disorders, leukaemias led her to open several national and international clinical trials for these conditions in Bristol allowing access to novel therapies to patients in the region.
She is currently the Principal Investigator for eight clinical trials in Bristol and Chief Investigator for a local research study and an international leukaemia trial.
She is currently the Clinical Lead for the department of Haematology at University Hospitals Bristol NHS Trust. Dr Mehta is the clinical lead on research projects relating to biosensors and chemotherapy in cancers at the University of West of England, and has successfully completed projects on NIHR and commercial grants. She is a visiting research fellow at UWE and a panel member of the Medicines Advisory Group (MAG) for the Trust.
Dr Mehta is the lead for leukaemia service at UHBristol NHS trust and has been the lead for Haemoglobinopathy service until 2016. She has been an Educational Supervisor for haematology trainees in the region since 2008. She is a clinician who believes in keeping patient’s choice and quality of life considerations at the centre of treatment decisions. She is very research active and likes to be able to offer her patients the benefit of up to date evidence in managing their condition. She thoroughly enjoys her role as a clinician and considers it a privilege to be able to care for patients, together with all the nursing and support staff.
NHS Hospital / current post(s)
- Consultant Haematologist, Bristol Haematology Oncology Centre
- University Hospitals Bristol NHS Trust
- Research Fellow at University of West of England
- Clinical Lead, Department of Haematology, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Trust
- Education Lead for South West of England, British Society of Haematology
Myeloid Malignancies; Red Cell Disorders; Haematological Oncology Blood Transfusion; Haematology Coagulation.
- Member of the National AML working party at the National Cancer Research Institute
- Member of the National MDS working party at the National Cancer Research Institute
- National Haemoglobinopathy Forum
- Member of the British Society of Haematology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- Royal College Of Pathologists
- European Chronic Leukaemia Working Party