Dr Muthu Kumar specialises in lung cancer, thoracic and urological malignancies included prostate, bladder, and kidney cancers.
Dr Muthu Kumar is a recognised Clinical Oncologist based at our Chelmsford centre and specialises in lung cancer, thoracic and urological malignancies included prostate, bladder, and kidney cancers.
Dr Kumar has a keen interest in clinical research and has been the Principal Investigator for several NRCN and industry led commercial clinical trials in lung and urological cancers. He also workers at Colchester General as a Consultant in Oncology.
Dr. Kumar leads the Stereotactic radiotherapy services at Colchester General Hospital.
NHS Hospital / current post(s)
- Consultant Oncologist, Colchester General Hospital, Colchester
- Lead oncologist for upper GI cancers and renal cancers at Essex County Hospitals, Colchester Hospitals University Foundation Trust
- Keith Durrant Memorial Award , awarded by Royal college of Radiologists, 2004.
- Systemic and radiotherapy treatment of lung cancer.
- SBRT for lung cancer and oligometastatic disease.
- Molecular radiotherapy using Radium 223.
- Systemic and modern radiotherapy using IMRT/IGRT for prostate cancer.
Publications & affiliations
- Multiple lines of treatment improve OS in Castrate resistant prostate cancer–Poster presented at Prosca 2018, Frankfurt. Akhtar, Muthukumar D.
- D. Muthu Kumar, A. Arora, L. Speed, R. Vijayan, P. Hoskins. ‘Dose Escalated Radiotherapy in the Treatment of Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer using High Dose Rate Brachytherapy in Combination with Whole Pelvic Radiotherapy: A Single Centre Experience.: Clinical Oncology, Volume 21, Issue 10, December 2009.
- Seckl MJ., Muthukumar D., Multicenter, Phase III, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Pravastatin Added to First- L i n e S t a n d a r d C h e m o t h e r a p y i n S m a l l – C e l l Lung Cancer(LUNGSTAR).J Clin Oncol. 2017 May 10;35(14): 1506-1514.
- Clive AO, Dakshnamoorthy Muthukumar et. al. Prophylactic radiotherapy for the prevention of procedure-tract metastases after surgical and large-bore pleural procedures in malignant pleural mesothelioma(SMART): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1094-1104.
- Peter Schmid, Dakshinamoorthy Muthukumar et.al: Addition of apatorsen, an inhibitor of Hsp27, to first-line gemcitabine/carboplatin in advanced squamous cell lung cancer: Design of the Cedar study. DOI: 10.1200/jco.2015.33.15_suppl.tps8111 Journal of Clinical Oncology 33, no. 15_suppl – published online before print.
- Member of Royal College of Radiologists, UK
- Member of European society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology- ESTRO
- Member of British Thoracic Oncology group
- Member of British Uro-oncology group