Clinical interests in breast, lung, and prostate cancers.
Michael is a Professor of Radiation Oncology working primarily with breast, lung, and prostate cancers.
Michael's particular area of interest is in prostate brachytherapy (both Iodine-125 low dose rate (LDR) permanent seed implants and Iridium-192 high dose rate (HDR) temporary implants) and modern techniques for prostate cancer radiation treatment which he introduced in 2013. In addition, Michael is interested in modern multidisciplinary management of breast cancer.
Michael completed his MBBS at Monash University in 1991 graduating with Honours. He received his Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (FRANZCR) in 1999. This was followed by two years as a research fellow at the DNA Research Laboratory at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. He was both an NHMRC Scholar and Sir Edward ‘Weary’ Dunlop Research Fellow. He has also completed his doctorate (DMedSc) with the University of Melbourne.
Michael has a strong interest in research with more than 90 publications and supervises a number of PhD and MPhil students. He commenced as a consultant radiation oncologist in 2000 joining Genesis Care Victoria. He consults at the Ringwood and Frankston Genesis Care Radiation Oncology Centres. Michael is both an honorary radiation oncologist at Maroondah Hospital (Eastern Health) and breast cancer radiation oncology lead at the Olivia Newton John Cancer and Wellness Centre.
- Multidisciplinary approaches to breast cancer management
- Modern techniques for prostate radiation treatment
- Stereotactic prostate radiation therapy
- American Society of Therapeutic Radiology & Oncology
- European Society of Radiation Oncology
- Australasian Society of Breast Diseases
- American Brachytherapy Society
- Australasian Brachytherapy Group
- Quality of life after breast conserving therapy and adjuvant radiotherapy for non low risk ductal carcinoma insitu (BIG3-07/TROG 07.01): 2 year results of a randomised controlled phase 3 trial. King M, Link E, Whelan T, Olivotto I, Kunkler I, Westenberg A, Gruber G, Schofield P, Chua BH and BIG 3-07/TROG 07.01 trial investigators. Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21(5): 685-698.
- Vertebral fractures following stereotactic body radiotherapy for spine metastases. Abbouchie H, Chao M, Tacey M, Wasiak J, Lim Joon D, Ho H, Guerrieri M, Ng M, Foroudi F. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2020; 64(2): 293-302.
- Vertebral fractures following stereotactic body radiotherapy for spine oligometastasis: a multi-institutional analysis of patient outcomes. Abbouchie H, Chao M, Tacey M, Wasiak J, Lim Joon D, Ho H, Guerrieri M, Ng M, Foroudi F. Clin Oncol. 2020; 32(7): 433-441.
- Assessment of intrafraction motion of the urinary bladder using magnetic resonance imaging (cineMRI). Wilson C, Moseshvili E, Tacey M, Quin I, Lawrentschuk N, Bolton D, Lim Joon D, Chao M, Dunshea T, Kron T, Foroudi F. Clin Oncol. 2020; 32(2): 101-109.
- PSMA PET/CT guided stereotactic ablative body radiotherapy (SABR) for recurrent oligometastatic prostate cancer. Ong WL, Lim Joon D, Chao M, Farrugia B, Khoo V, Lawrentschuk N, Bolton D, Foroudi F. BJU Int. 2019; 124(S1): 19-30.