Special clinical interest in neuro-oncology, brain tumour and brain metastases.
Michael is a Radiation Oncologist and Neuro-oncologist who has been specialising in the management of brain tumours for more than 25 years. He has been an opinion leader active in developing and expanding multidisciplinary neuro-oncology services in major university teaching hospitals within NSW and South East Asia. With a strong emphasis on patient-centred care, and empowerment though information provision, he has generated a large clinical practice encompassing latest evidence-based care, technology, research, and clinical trials.
Michael has NSW Health appointments at the Royal North Shore and Gosford Hospitals and a conjoint academic role through the University of Sydney. In the NSW GenesisCare network he manages patients under his Sydney Brain Tumour Clinic at the Mater Hospital, Macquarie University Hospital, St Vincent’s Clinic and Hurstville Waratah Medical Centre.
As a patient in Michael’s care, you can be sure you’re receiving the best evidence-based care from a leading radiation oncologist, working as part of a dedicated multidisciplinary team.
- PhD in Neuro-oncology University of Sydney 2020
- Michael is active in brain tumour clinical research, specifically exploring methods of optimising radiation treatment delivery in brain tumours, and benchmarking local outcomes with international centres. With Michael’s involvement, a large volume of neuro-oncology outcome research data has been published with more than 30 peer-reviewed journal publications in the past 5 years. Additionally, the North Shore Campus has been one of the largest contributors to national and international neuro-oncology clinical trials in Australasia over the past 15 years.
- Through The Brain Cancer Group (TBCG) he established TBCG Imaging Laboratory in 2019 to allow the pathway for future patient care to be optimised. In 2020 he completed a PhD through the University of Sydney titled ‘Optimising the Management of Anaplastic Glioma in the era of Molecular Classification’ and was subsequently awarded the Peter Bancroft Prize for research.
- COGNO (Aust Neuro-oncology Clinical trials)
- The Brain Cancer Group Sydney
- Former Cancer Council NSW Board Member
- Society of Neuro-oncology (USA)
- British Neuro-oncology Society (UK)
- Back M, Jayamanne DT Back E, Khasraw M, Wong M, Brown C, Wheeler H. “Reflecting on survivorship outcomes to aid initial decision-making in patients managed for IDH mutated Anaplastic Glioma" Cancer. 2019;125(19):3457-3466.
- Back M, Jayamanne DT, Khasraw M, Kastelan M, Brown C, Wheeler H. “Early pattern of failure involving distant brain sites and ventricular spread in patients with Anaplastic Glioma and IDH mutation” Strahlenther Onkol. 2020;196(1):31-39.
- Or M, Jayamanne D, Guo L, Stevens M, Parkinson J, Cook R, Little N, Back M. Focal radiation therapy for limited brain metastases is associated with high rates of local control and low subsequent whole brain radiation therapy. ANZ J Surg. 2019 Mar 5. doi: 10.1111/ans.15040.
- Jayamanne D, Wheeler H, Cook R, Teo C, Brazier D, Schembri G, Kastelan M, Guo L, Back MF. Survival improvements with adjuvant therapy in patients with glioblastoma. ANZ J Surg. 2018 Mar;88(3):196-201.
- Perry J, Laperriere N, O'Callaghan C, Brandes A, Menten J, Phillips C, Fay M, Nishikawa R, Cairncross G, Roa W, Osoba D, Rossiter J, Sahgal A, Hirte H, Laigle-Donadey F, Franceschi E, Chinot O, Golfinopoulos V, Fariselli L, Wick A, Feuvret L, Back M, Tills M, Winch C, Baumert B, Wick W, Ding K, Mason W. Short-Course Radiation with Temozolomide in Elderly Glioblastoma Patients. N Engl J Med. 2017 Mar 16; 376(11):1027-1037.