Dr Joanne Toohey
MBBS Hons (Uni Syd), FRANZCR FRACP MRCP, Radiation Oncologist
I see it as a privilege to look after these beautiful women and take them through what can be a difficult journey.
Special clinical interest in breast cancer, Cardio-oncology and palliative radiotherapy.
Jo is a Sydney-based radiation oncologist at GenesisCare St Vincent’s Hospital, and a visiting scientific officer at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research. Jo is a Conjoint Lecturer at the University of New South Wales and the University of Notredame and coordinates medical student rotations within the radiation department.
Prior to her current appointment Jo worked at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse and was a senior lecturer at the University of Sydney. Her clinical interests include breast and palliative care. Jo is an integral member of the breast multidisciplinary team, has a special interest in survivorship and in particular Cardio-oncology in the management of a patient with breast cancer. She has collaborated with Dr Daniel Cehic (Cardiologist) to provide a cardio-oncology clinic to all her patients with left sided breast cancer undergoing radiotherapy.
Her service also incorporates a dedicated Lymphoedema therapist in Simone Paterson to ensure her patients receive the optimal care both during and after treatment.
- Breast survivorship
- Peng V, Suchowerska N, Esteves ADS, Rogers L, Claridge Mackonis E, Toohey J, McKenzie DR. Models for the bystander effect in gradient radiation fields: Range and signalling type. J Theor Biol. 2018 Oct 14;455:16-25
- Malloy T, Millar E, Graham P, Toohey J, Carroll L, Drury A, deBock C. miR-139-5p modulates radiotherapy resistance in breast cancer by repressing multiple gene networks of DNA repair and ROS defense. Cancer Research. 2018 Jan 15;78(2):501-515.
- Gee HE, Buffa FM, Harris AL, Toohey JM, Carroll SL, Cooper CL, Beith J, McNeil C, Carmalt H, Mak C, Warrier S, Holliday A, Selinger C, Beckers R, Kennedy C, Graham P, Swarbrick A, Millar EK, O'Toole SA, Molloy T. MicroRNA-Related DNA Repair/Cell-Cycle Genes Independently Associated With Relapse After Radiation Therapy for Early Breast Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015 Dec 1; 93(5):1104-14.
- Gee HE, Bignell F, Odgers D, Gill S, Martin D, Toohey J, Carroll S. In vivo dosimetric impact of breast tissue expanders on post-mastectomy radiotherapy. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2016 Feb; 60(1):138-45.
- Estoesta RP, Attwood , Naehrig D, Claridge-Mackonis E, Odgers D, Martin D, Pham M, Toohey J, Carroll Assessment of voluntary deep inspiration breath-hold with CINE imaging for breast radiotherapy. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2017 Apr 22