GenesisCare, Mater Hospital in North Sydney, offers access to personalised cancer care including radiation oncology services.
GenesisCare, Mater Hospital is located within the Mater Hospital on Sydney’s Lower North Shore. Our dedicated team aim to offer evidence-based, high-quality care with the best possible clinical outcomes. Services offered include radiation therapy with access to Allied health support.
We aim to offer access to:
- Rapid access to consultation and treatment delivered using modern radiation therapy technology
- A personalised treatment program
- A comfortable, modern, calm and relaxing environment
- Friendly and supportive staff
- Flexible treatment hours
Our treatments and services
Radiation therapy uses high energy X-rays or other particles to treat cancer and can be used at all stages. Radiation therapy techniques can include: External Beam Radiation Therapy (EBRT), Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT), Deep Inspiration Breath Hold (DIBH) for left-sided Breast treatment, tattoo free breast radiation therapy, Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), Stereotactic Ablative Body Radiotherapy (SABR), Surface Guided Radiation Therapy (SGRT), and specialised non-surgical treatment for skin cancers.
Allied Health Services
At GenesisCare, Mater Hospital we offer you access to a range of Allied health services available via the Mater Hospital - each tailored to support your needs. One of your treatment team will discuss the most suitable options with you. Support services offered may include:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Pathologist
- Social Worker
- Psychological Support
- Pastoral Care
Considerable research and clinical evidence has established that exercise may be beneficial for people with cancer; however, there is no one-size-fits-all approach.1,2 Every person’s circumstances are unique and these should be taken into account. Tailored exercise programs designed by an exercise professional that include both aerobic and resistance training activities have been shown to provide benefits.3 To learn more about incorporating exercise during your cancer journey, please speak with your doctor and treatment team.
Patient access program
The Patient Access Program is for patients living on the Northern Beaches receiving radiation therapy treatment at GenesisCare, Mater Hospital. Please speak with your treatment team to learn more about the Patient access program. The Patient Access Program includes:
- Full radiation therapy treatment course with inclusions such as:
- Initial consultation with a Radiation Oncologist
- CT Scan
- Personalised treatment plan
GenesisCare Mater have partnered with Uber to provide door-to-door transport for our patients living on the Northern Beaches. Our Patient Services Team are able to coordinate patient pickups and return journeys.
Rural and remote patient package
The GenesisCare centre at the Mater Hospital has developed a specific package for rural and remote patients. To learn more speak with the centre treatment team.
A/Prof Michael Back
FRANZCR GradDipPsyOnc MBA PhD
Mater Hospital, Sydney (Oncology) +3
Prof. Angela Hong
MBBS, MMed, PhD, FRANZCR
Mater Hospital, Sydney (Oncology) +2
Dr Joanne Toohey
MBBS Hons (Uni Syd), FRANZCR FRACP MRCP
Mater Hospital, Sydney (Oncology) +1
Dr Sarah Bergamin
MBBS (Hons), BSc (Hons), MEd (HPE), FRANZCR
Mater Hospital, Sydney (Oncology) +1
- Campbell KL, Winters-Stone KM, Wiskemann J, et al. Exercise guidelines for cancer survivors: Consensus statement from international multidisciplinary roundtable. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2019;51(11):2375–2390.
- Hayes SC, Newton RU, Spence RR, et al. The Exercise and Sports Science Australia position statement: Exercise medicine in cancer management. J Sci Med Sport 2019;22(11):1175–1199.
- Buffart LM, Kalter J, Sweegers MG, et al. Effects and moderators of exercise on quality of life and physical function in patients with cancer: An individual patient data meta-analysis of 34 RCTs. Cancer Treat Rev 2017;52:91–104.