Dr Marie-Frances Burke OAM
MBBS, FRANZCR, Chief Medical Officer GenesisCare Oncology Australia, Doctor Engagement Leader Oncology, Radiation Oncologist
A cancer journey can be a difficult one to navigate. It is a pleasure and honour to guide my patients along this pathway back to wellness wherever possible.
Clinical interests in breast, gynaecological, and skin cancers. Marie is also interested in patient satisfaction, quality control in radiation oncology, and mentoring junior colleagues.
Dr Marie Burke qualified in medicine from the University of Queensland in 1982, and was awarded the Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR) in 1989. Marie commenced private practice in radiation oncology at The Wesley in 1995.
She has been involved in National Breast Cancer Guideline development for Cancer Australia, as well as eviQ protocol development in breast cancer. Currently Dr Burke is Vice-Patron of the Breast and Prostate Cancer Association of Queensland.
She completed her training at The Queensland Radium Institute, based at the Royal Brisbane and Womens’ Hospital and the Mater Hospital. Her first consultant position was also at the QRI, at RBWH and at the Mater.
- Dr Burke was delighted to be awarded an OAM on Australia Day 2022 for services to oncology
- Chief Medical Officer, GenesisCare, Australia
- Doctor Engagement Leader for GenesisCare oncology, Australia
- Previously served on the Radiation Oncology Faculty Council of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists, as well as their Economics and Workforce Committee
- Past Secretary and Treasurer of the Australasian Society of Breast Diseases
- Member of the Breast Cancer Trials Group
- Dr Burke is committed to clinical research, and has been the principal investigator on trials including STARS at GenesisCare, The Wesley.
- Member of the Breast Cancer Trials Group, Australia New Zealand Gynaecological Oncology Group and TROG
- Member of the AMAQ Committee of Consultant Specialists
- Currently Dr Burke is Vice-Patron of the Breast and Prostate Cancer Association of Queensland
- Member of the Australia New Zealand Gynaecological Oncology Group
- 2015 Recommendations for use of hypofractionated breast radiation for early (operable) breast cancer – Marie Burke. Cancer Australia Guidelines 2015 online