Dr David Chan
MBBS, FRACP, BSc, Medical Oncologist
I feel privileged to talk to patients in difficult circumstances. Seeing someone who has improved quality of life makes research worthwhile
Genitourinary Cancer, Gastrointestinal cancer, Prostate Cancer
Special clinical interest in gastrointestinal cancers, genitourinary cancers and neuroendocrine tumours
David Chan is a medical oncologist appointed at the Royal North Shore Hospital and North Shore Private Hospital. He is experienced in management of gastrointestinal malignancies but has a particular interest in neuroendocrine tumours (NETs). After completing his medical oncology training at Royal North Shore Hospital, he undertook overseas training in NETs at Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto. He is completing his PhD in neuroendocrine tumours (focussing on the role of PET scans) at the University of Sydney, and recently received 5 years of NHMRC funding to further this research. He has authored more than 40 peer-reviewed research articles and has been invited to speak nationally and internationally. He is an active member of COSA, ASCO, ENETS and COMMNETs. He was elected the chair of the NET committee for COSA in 2019.
David enjoys teaching medical students and supervising innovative clinical research. In his spare time, he enjoys playing music (piano and pipe organ) and reading.
- Neuroendocrine tumours
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Chan DL, Pavlakis N, Schembri GP, Bernard EJ, Hsiao E, Hayes A, Barnes T, Diakos C, Khasraw M, Samra J, Eslick E, Roach PJ, Engel A, Clarke SJ, Bailey DL (2017). Dual Somatostatin Receptor/FDG PET/CT Imaging in Metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumours: Proposal for a Novel Grading Scheme with Prognostic Significance. Theranostics 2017; 7(5):1149-1158. doi:10.7150/thno.18068
- Lee A*, Chan DL*, Wong MH, Li BT, Lumba S, Clarke SJ, Samra J, Pavlakis N (2017). Systematic Review on the Role of Targeted Therapy in Metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumor (NET). Neuroendocrinology 2017;104(3):209-222 doi: 10.1159/000446115 (joint first author)
- Singh S, Chan DL, Lui N, Fischer HD, Austin PC, Moody L, Segelov E (2018). Recurrence in resected gastroenteropancreatic tumours: A population-based study . JAMA Oncology 4(4), 583-585 PMID: 29543939 Doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.0024
- Chan DL, Bernard E, Schembri G, Roach P, Johnson M, Pavlakis N, Clarke SJ, Bailey D. High metabolic tumour volume on FDG PET predicts poor survival from neuroendocrine neoplasms. Neuroendocrinology. 2019 Nov 12. doi: 10.1159/000504673. [Epub ahead of print] PMID 31711058
- Chan DLH, Segelov E, Wong RSH, Smith A, Herbertson RA, Li BT, Tebbutt N, Price T, Pavlakis N (2017). Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) inhibitors for metastatic colorectal cancer. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 6. Art. No: CD007047. PMID 28654140 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007047.pub2