Niraj H. Mehta, MD trained in radiation oncology at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and was honored with the American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO) Best Fellowship Award for his thesis on “Fostering a Global Perspective of Oncology,” based on his experiences working in a rural hospital in Brazil.
His broad clinical expertise includes intracranial and extracranial stereotactic radiosurgery, hypofractionation, GYN brachytherapy, adaptive radiotherapy (head and neck), skin cancer radiation techniques and image-guided radiation therapy.
With a special interest in restorative health strategies, functional nutrition and healing after cancer, Dr. Mehta focuses on providing an optimal patient experience combined with strategies for enhanced quality of life throughout treatment and into 'thrivership.' His individualized, whole-person approach emphasizes optimizing functional health outcomes through patient empowerment.
Dr. Mehta presents talks and lectures both locally and internationally in English, Spanish and Portuguese on various topics including movement-based programs of exercise, stress relief and multidisciplinary healing such as nutrition, plant medicine (compassionate use of medical marijuana), and therapeutic restorative strategies for patients and caretakers.
As a board certified radiation oncologist and professional choreographer, Dr. Mehta is the founder of Making Moves Universal (MMU), an international program and movement to combine the spirit of mindful movement with music to improve life situations, whether mental, emotional, spiritual or psychosocial, for those with chronic illness, creating an aura of love, belonging, and purpose.He has been featured on NBC and CNN en Español, where he held live sessions with those affected by cancer, including “thrivers,” caretakers and providers. He has also been invited to participate in local podcasts and blogs on Bloom TV and TruLieve Series for conversations on the connection between movement and mental health.
Dr. Mehta was featured in the “The Power of Movement” on Amazon Prime (IMBD, 2020), which details the journey to incorporate a community movement program within the evidence-based framework of clinical medicine. He was interviewed for an article entitled “Holistic Care: What is it and how it helps cancer patients,” which was published in Healthcare Business Today (March 2022) and most recently he authored this article on skin cancer in Targeted Oncology (July 2022).
- University of Southern California, BS, Biology minor Bioethics and Communications, Los Angeles, CA
- University of California, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Radiation Oncology, Los Angeles, CA
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center, West Hollywood, CA
- Board of Directors, Arts for Artism (2015-present)
- Society of Integrative Oncology (2016-present)
- Institute of Functional Medicine (2016-present)
- Board of Directors, Arts for Health Florida (2016-present)
- Speaker- Movement and other Restorative Strategies for the Cancer Patient (English and Spanish) – Miami, FL, 2016 (South Miami Gynecologic Oncology Group)
- Speaker- Survivorship Guide to Healing: Four Houses of Health (English and Spanish) – Miami, FL, 2015 (Cancer Support Community)
- International Speaker- Quality of Life in Prostate Cancer (Spanish) – Antigua, Guatemala, 2014
- International Speaker- Bladder Preservation (Spanish) – Antigua, Guatemala, 2014
- International Speaker- Anal Cancer: Multidisciplinary Management and RT Technique (Spanish) – Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, 2013
- International Speaker- GE Junction Cancer: Transition of Biology and Philosophy (Spanish) – Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, 2013
- International Speaker- Novel Prostate Cancer Options – Barbados, 2013
- International Speaker- RTOG Contouring (Spanish): Head/Neck, GI, Argentina, 2013
- American College of Radiation oncology (2012-Present)
- 2012 ASTRO Presentation
- 2012 ARRO Global Health Scholarship
- International Speaker- Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Brain Metastases (Portuguese) – Salvador, Brazil, 2012
- American Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (2009-present)
- University of Southern California Trustee Full Scholarship: 2000-2004; Magna Cum Laude, 2004