Combining a lifetime interest in nature and science with a desire to help others made a career in medicine a natural choice for urologist Dr. Matt Perry. His interest in urology grew because it was the first specialty to use robotic surgery for minimally invasive procedures. That interest spurred him to complete six years of training at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic where he also served as chief resident and as a clinical instructor. Dr. Perry also works to deliver the clinic’s model of state-of-the-art medicine with a strong culture of compassionate care-giving in service of patients, with whom he likes to develop collaborative and personal relationships, involving them with decisions about their own care.
Dr. Perry’s practice encompasses general urology with a focus on delivering excellent outcomes for patients with prostate, bladder and kidney cancers, kidney stones, prostate enlargement, erectile dysfunction, and female incontinence. While he has extensive expertise in robotic surgery and minimally invasive procedures, Dr. Perry’s philosophy is to consider a broad range of treatment options to find which is best for an individual patient. He appreciates the high caliber of care and collaborative spirit within the local urology community and the collegiality that spurs him to deliver the highest level of care he can. That care has earned Dr. Perry recognition as a Castle Connolly Top Doctor for the past three years.
Originally from Miami, Dr. Perry enjoys Sarasota’s smaller town atmosphere and its natural bounty. With his strong interest in nature conservation, he and his wife participate actively with Mote Marine. He also enjoys water sports, fishing, kayaking, and paddle boarding in local waters and, along with a friend, is building a Downeaster-style lobster boat. Dr. Perry also loves experimenting in his garden growing vegetables, fruit trees, and herbs, and wants his young daughter to grow up with dirt beneath her fingernails.
- Florida Urology Specialists - Urologist, Sarasota, FL
- Kennesaw State University, BS, Chemistry, Kennesaw, GA
- University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL
- University of Mississippi Medical Center, Urology, Jackson, MS
- Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Urology, Rochester, MN
- University of Mississippi Medical Center, General Surgery, Jackson, MS
Awards and honors
- summa cum laude, Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key Award, American Institute of Chemists Award, Phi Lambda Upsilon at Kennesaw State University