Dr. Kelley grew up in a small town outside of Greenville, South Carolina and graduated from college at Furman University where he majored in biology and chemistry. He then went to medical school at the Medical University of South Carolina earning an MD and a PhD studying gene therapy for pancreatic cancer. Dr. Kelley completed an internship in internal medicine at UNC Chapel Hill and a residency in radiation oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond and has been Board Certified in Radiation Oncology since 2010.
He has more than ten years of experience treating all types of adult malignancies including breast cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, melanoma, lung cancer and all types of GI cancer. Dr. Kelley has experience treating cancer with brachytherapy, stereotactic radiosurgery, and stereotactic body radiotherapy using GammaKnife, CyberKnife, and Tomotherapy. He has a special interest in treatment of sarcomas and has written several book chapters on the treatment of head and neck cancer.
Dr. Kelley has a passion for clinical and translational research and is working to increase access to clinical trials for patients of western North Carolina. He has a research interest in combining radiation therapy with immunotherapy and has worked with several new drugs designed to decrease side effects of radiation while making treatment more effective. Dr. Kelley believes in the importance of a healthy diet and exercise for patients who are fighting cancer and works with physician and scientists across the country to study alternative medicine and natural supplements.
The goal of Dr. Kelley’s practice is to offer the highest quality radiation therapy using the latest technology while allowing patients to stay in the comfort of their home with the support of their friends and family. He is proud to be a part of the community in western North Carolina and feels that the greatest privilege of his life is to help patients in their fight against cancer.
- West Virginia University Morgantown, WV. Cancer Institute
- 2013 - 2020 University of Tennessee Medical Center Knoxville, TN
- 2012-2013 Tri Cities Cancer Center Kennewick, WA
- 2008-2012 Via Christi Hospital Wichita, KS
- Sept 1995-June 2003 Medical University of South Carolina Charleston, SC, Medical and Graduate School
- Sept 1991-June 1995 Furman University Greenville, SC, Bachelor of Science Biology/ Chemistry
- July 2004-July 2008 Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, VA, Residency Radiation Oncology
- July 2003-June 2004 University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, NC, Internship Preliminary Internal Medicine