Dr. Abelson obtained his M.D. from UCLA medical school, where he received the Aesculapian award for service and leadership. He completed his residency training in Radiation Oncology at Stanford University, serving as chief resident in his final year. At Stanford, Dr. Abelson gained expertise in intensity-modulated and image-guided radiation therapy (IMRT and IGRT) and in stereotactic intracranial and body radiosurgery (SRS and SBRT). Dr. Abelson has authored numerous manuscripts on various aspects of IMRT, IGRT and SBRT, and he has presented at conferences in the United States and internationally. While at Stanford he conducted a clinical trial investigating target optimization in SBRT, and on the Central Coast he implemented SBRT and SRS programs. Dr. Abelson is Board Certified in Radiation Oncology by the American Board of Radiology and he practices at Coastal Radiation Oncology, in collaboration with GenesisCare; Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village and Simi Valley locations.
- Pomona College, Bachelor of Arts, Mathematical Economics, Claremont, CA
- University of California Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, Medicine Department, San Jose, CA
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford, CA
Awards and honors
- Aesculapian Student Service Award, 2007; Dean’s Scholar: Outstanding Research Thesis, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, 2007; Morris B. Pendleton Prize: Highest Honors in Economics, Pomona College, 1998; Phi Beta Kappa, 1998;