Integrative Oncology care
Providing end-to-end care focused on you
When fighting cancer, taking care of yourself - body, mind and spirit - can help you better tolerate treatment, manage side effects, and improve quality of life. However, many patients are not aware of the appropriate steps to improve their health during treatment.
Research studies have shown that:
80% of cancer patients may suffer with malnutrition, and as little as a 5% weight drop 80% can be associated with a poorer outcome1
40% of cancer patients say they take dietary supplements2
Less than 50% of oncologists discuss supplements with their patients3, even though some can cause harmful interactions
32% of cancer patients are diagnosed with one or more mental health issues, including anxiety and depressions4
75% of people reduce their physical activity after being diagnosed with cancer5
At GenesisCare, we design care experiences that deliver the best possible outcomes.
To support our mission, we now offer supportive therapies which incorporate the practices of integrative oncology and functional medicine. These services may improve quality of life and clinical outcomes, and allow us to provide whole person care that's focused on you, not just your cancer diagnosis.
What is Integrative Oncology?
Integrative oncology utilizes supportive therapies, such as emotional support, mind and body practices, natural products, and or/lifestyle alterations, alongside conventional cancer treatments, such as radiation or medical oncology therapies. It helps patients take control of their health and improve quality of life both during cancer treatment as well as throughout survivorship.
The GenesisCare integrative oncology recommendations are consistent with the Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO) Clinical Practice Guidelines. SIO has a mission to advance evidence-based, comprehensive, integrative healthcare to improve the lives of people affected by cancer.
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine addresses what the root cause of a person’s illness is instead of simply treating the symptoms. This could mean that you could be suffering from one issue that has several causes, or you could have many issues with one core cause. By addressing the underlying causes, cancer patients may be able to tolerate treatment better, as well as experience a better quality and potentially longer life.
The functional medicine offerings at GenesisCare utilizes a multi-disciplinary approach and takes into account your lifestyle, nutritional, genetic, and environmental factors when developing a personalized plan.
GenesisCare partners with multiple lab networks to provide a suite of functional medicine tests to assess your baseline health and nutritional status, including:
- Dutch Plus - Captures an extensive profile of stress and sex hormones and melatonin, along with their metabolites to guide lifestyle changes that will optimize your health.
- GI-MAP Stool Test - Detects biological imbalances in the gut that includes signs of inflammation, dysbiosis in stool bacteria, parasites, and even food sensitivities.
- Micronutrient Test + Vitamin D (Genova Diagnostics NutrEval) - Detects deficiencies in micronutrients (such as vitamins and minerals).
- Basic Functional Labs - Glucose Tolerance (GTT) Blood Test, Insulin Response Blood Test, Hemoglobin (HB) A1c, C-Reactive Protein (CRP), Fibrinogen, Complete Blood Count (CBC).
* In many instances, these tests are covered by insurance. Please contact your insurance carrier directly to determine coverage.
Collaboration with integrative oncology providers*
GenesisCare has an extensive, multidisciplinary network of integrative oncology independent practitioners we collaborate with who can help you improve your overall quality of life, including:
- Nutritional Support - Credentialed dietitians can help you determine which foods can help combat side effects, as well as improve your energy and help to avoid malnutrition during treatment.
- Acupuncture - Acupuncturists insert very fine needles into energy meridian points on the body to help reduce pain and manage stress.
- Naturopathic Medicine - Accredited naturopathic providers can help educate on prevention and better health through the use of natural practices, including exercise and supplement use.
- Health Education Programs - Educational workshops and sessions to help identify healthy living practices when diagnosed with cancer.
- Physical Therapy - Licensed physical therapists can help with activity during treatment to help combat fatigue, pain, soreness and stiffness.
We are happy to provide a list of in-network integrative oncology practitioners based on your insurance plan.
*GenesisCare does not make any assurance regarding the quality of care or services offered by functional medicine providers. The choice whether to consult with any of these providers remains yours, and will not affect the quality of care you receive from your GenesisCare team. You are responsible for verifying insurance coverage and out of pocket costs with the provider and your health insurer at the time you seek services.
We want you to feel empowered throughout your treatment journey. Therefore, we are happy to provide you with a list of recommended educational materials:
- Society for Integrative Oncology
- The Institute for Functional Medicine
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Cancer.Net®
- American Cancer Society